Search This Blog

Loading...

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

O is For Orthography








Orthography means the art of writing words with the proper letters; spelling. Once upon a time, we were expected to learn the proper way to write with proper spelling. We were graded on how well we spelled. We were expected to write sentences with proper structure. Shortcuts were not allowed. Orthography was not a novel word. It was a way of life when someone wrote anything.

Now with Facebook, emails, and text messages we have gotten away from this way of life. Instead, it is to get as much of a message down as quick as one can. I have received text messages that have caused me to scratch my head in confusion. I have had to ask the senders to resend the message again and spell out the whole word so I can understand what they are trying to say.

Some might thing I am just an old dinosaur who is bucking change. This might be true. Still I believe that there is something to be said about keeping to some of the old ways. I hope that orthography does not go out of style but I am afraid that it might be outdated.

5 comments:

  1. My Dad takes great pleasure in trying to formulate a text message so cryptic that it took a crack team of 12 years to decipher for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. guilty as charged--but that's the beauty of blogging for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm mildly dyslexic so orthography and I are NOT friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's an actual word for that? HUH?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So that's the word for it! Well, it drives me a bit nutty. I'm so not a fan of that. Guess I'm a bit outdated too :)

    Anna@Herding Cats & Burning Soup

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment.